In This Issue



- A Look Ahead




-  Short Response



Tax Time

-  Claimable Items



Wrap Up

- See You Next Month



Visit our website: 




07 3398 4992




Hi Readers! Can you believe were halfway through the year already!? Our monthly newsletter has been produced for 18 months now and throughout this time weve discussed a number of different topics.  Are there any topics or particular items that you would like covered in future editions? Please let us know by replying to this email with any feedback or topic requests.  


In this months issue of Keep Things Flowing, we present a variety of short Q&As and review possible tax deductions for the upcoming end of financial year. 



Q & A

Question 1

Im in the due diligence stage of purchasing a block that is affected by flood water. Can STORM provide professional advice on the potential for development prior to the end of my due diligence?


Answer 1

Yes Storm can provide assistance. It is imperative that you make contact with one of our engineers to discuss the issues affecting the block as soon as possible. In most cases (given the time constraint) we can undertake a preliminary assessment of the property to identify expected flood levels and the associated development constraints. At the very least we can provide verbal advice regarding this issue. This information is usually enough for the purchaser to make an informed decision about the risks of development when purchasing the property. A detailed assessment of the development may be required following the acquisition of the land. If you have a property that you are looking to purchase we would be happy to provide assistance with any investigations.



Question 2

Does STORM do the civil design for project s or just the conceptual stormwater design?


Answer 2

Although we are civil engineers, we only undertake the conceptual design of a project. 



Question 3

Does a Q100 event mean I will only experience the event once in every hundred years?


Answer 3

No, a Q100 event is defined as an event that has a 1% chance of occurring in any single year.



Question 4

Does STORM provide Forms 15 and 16?


Answer 4

Yes we have the ability to provide these documents.



Question 5

Does STORM size water quality treatment devices?


Answer 5

Yes we do. We size both traditional and propriety devices depending on the water quality targets required to be met.



Question 6

What is ALS Survey Data?


Answer 6

ALS stands for Aerial Laser Scanning. Ground levels are mapped aerially and compiled into square kilometre tiles. STORM purchases these tiles from the State Government. We then reformat the data to form contours over the relevant study area.



Tax Time

June has come and gone, which means its time to forage for those faded receipts inside your shoe box and sort out your tax returns. The ATOs website has listed some occupation-specific deductions you can claim for your work-related expenses. Some common work-related deductions for engineers (and potentially architects, town planners etc.) are listed below:


- Work-related daily travel expenses: travels between your work and meeting places and/or sites are generally deductable. Travelling from home to site then onto work is also deductable, however travels between home and work are generally private (with exceptions).


- Overnight and overseas travel: fares, accommodations, meals and incidental expenses for work (e.g. site visits) are generally deductable. This includes attending industry-related seminars interstate or overseas (attendance fees are also deductable). Course fees and tutorial fees for work-related training (e.g. software package courses) are also generally deductable.


- Union fees and subscriptions to associations: membership fees to Engineers Australia and Professionals Australia (amongst others) are generally deductable. Fees incurred for application to qualified status (e.g. CPEng) are generally deductable.


- Protective clothing, uniforms and laundry: safety equipment, protective clothing and uniforms are generally deductable. The costs for laundry and dry-cleaning uniforms and protective clothing are also deductable.


Make sure you are able to supplement evidence for the above deductions (e.g. receipts). The above is of an informative nature; see the ATO website for more details or seek professional advice from your tax agent.



Wrap Up

We hope you enjoyed this edition of Keep Things Flowing. Feedback on articles presented is always welcomed and for further information on any of the articles presented please dont hesitate to contact our office.


As always, Keep Things Flowing!


The Storm Team


To unsubscribe from this newsletter send a reply email and you will be removed from our mailing list.